Sunday, February 8, 2009

Christian Bale Apologizes

After a week of brewing controversy about his blistering tirade on the set of Terminator IV, Christian Bale has issued a public apology on the KROQ morning radio show. We discussed the issue some at the top of last week's Double Down Film Show before Bale's Apology.

Here's a short excerpt followed by a link to the full audio version:

"The thing that I really want to stress is I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk. I regret that...There is nobody that has heard that tape that is hit harder by it than me. I make no excuses for it. It is inexcusable. I hope that that is absolutely clear." - Actor, Christian Bale

Audio: Christian Bales Apology on KROQ Morning Show

I think the incident is a tough career break for Christian and only time will tell if the public and Hollywood will ultimately forgive and forget his over-the-top on-set tirade. There's plenty of food for thought for budding filmmakers in this incident if you really think about it.

Apart from set etiquette and professionalism, I think there's a real lesson in the pressures of success and fame. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it...and once you get it, it may come with some unexpected strings attached...like paparazzi, total loss of privacy, 27 dependent employees, pressure to perform every time and possibly even a complete loss of perspective and reality.

I don't think it's cool to talk to anybody like that, least of all in front of crew, but I do understand some of the factors that can fuel such a freakout and based on another unfortunate incident with his family around the same time, Christian was/is clearly dealing with something else in his personal life. I think it's a good reminder of the importance of keeping our feet on the ground as we progress in our careers...especially if we do reach the top.

There's a flip side to everything.

-Ant.

No comments: